A third-party beacon is a 1x1 transparent pixel that loads on a site visitor's web page in order to track ad performance. In order to track your campaign by impressions, you must work with a third-party provider to obtain third party tags.
To ensure the most accurate data, we recommend beacons in the form of unwrapped 1x1 image pixels. We accept an unlimited number of beacons that can fire on the following events:
- Rendered Impression
- Visible Impression
- 3 second instant play (metric will be recorded after 3 seconds of video view)
- 10 second instant play (metric will be recorded after 10 seconds of video view)
- 15 second instant play (metric will be recorded after 15 seconds of video view)
- 30 second instant play (metric will be recorded after 30 seconds of video view)
- Video Start (metric will recorded when video begins user initiated playback)
- Video Complete (metric will be recorded when user initiated playback is complete)
- 25% Complete (metric will be recorded when user initiated playback is 25% complete)
- 50% Complete (metric will be recorded when user initiated playback is 50% complete)
- 75% Complete (metric will be recorded when user initiated playback is 75% complete)
For more in-depth information regarding our third-party beacon parameters, please refer to our Metrics & Definitions.
Third-party tracking beacons can be inserted on Direct Sell creatives within SFP, but cannot be trafficked with Programmatic tags.
From your creative overview page > Manage button > Edit Creative > Navigate to Advanced Options
Choose the appropriate event to trigger your beacon and then enter the URL in the Tracking URL field.
Please note that Sharethrough supports only one type of cachebusting code in third-party beacons. Wherever [timestamp] appears in your beacon URL, Sharethrough will replace it with the current UNIX timestamp in milliseconds. This will ensure that all beacon URLs are unique and should eliminate accidental under-reporting. Any other cachebusting tags, like
%%CACHEBUSTER%%? or %n are ad-server specific are not supported by Sharethrough. They will not cause any problems if they are still in the URL but they also will not ensure uniqueness of the URLs.
Once entered, you can edit or remove the third party beacon as desired. You may have any number of beacons, including multiple beacons on the same event.