- Always have a thumbnail. Ads without thumbnails will be inherently less valuable to the advertiser and will make the pub earn less money.
Check out TMZ’s mobile integration. Not only is their unit styled to match their organic content, but the consistency in thumbnail size also adds a premium touch to the user experience. On top of that, TMZ used SFP’s Content Engagement Ads to deliver their brand’s content.
- If there's an author tag, make that the "promoted by brand" tag so there's consistency in treating the brand like an author.
- If there are huge, medium, and small story units, don't choose the smallest one.
Check out Chowhound.com’s homepage integration. Their sponsored unit is in-feed, visual, and contextually relevant – a perfect equation for maximum engagement:
- On article pages, if there's an always-visible sidebar feed as you scroll down, integrate into that feed to maximize viewability.
- If there's a homepage swiping or rotating "hero" story unit, don't be the first item, be the second.
- Write a lot of headlines. Data shows that using SFP's creative optimization feature results in dramatically higher engagement rates.
Philly.com’s sponsored content campaigns are a perfect example of native done right. Not only is their unit viewable and in-feed, but their sponsored content is also contextually relevant with headline and thumbnail combinations that grab the user’s attention and take full advantage of SFPs creative optimization feature:
- Don't just write any headlines, write engaging headlines with context words that have been proven to command user attention.
To read more about context words, check out our Neuroscience Study conducted in partnership with Nielsen.
- Keep your audience in mind. Not only should your branded or sponsored content match the look and feel of your site, but it should also match the context.
Cheri Media has consistently driven engagement rates of over 1% with their audience-conscious branded content campaigns. What better way to engage with users than to promote a brand new music video using Sharethrough’s Content Engagement Ads?
Investing Channel also keeps their audience in mind with their in-app branded content campaigns. Their latest campaign drove an engagement rate of nearly 1.5% with a combination of compelling headlines and contextually relevant content:
- If possible, make your thumbnails at least 250 pixels wide to ensure optimal user engagement for silent autoplay content.