This is documentation aimed at a publisher using Sharethrough who would like to only traffic Direct Sold campaigns which are backfilled with Featured Content, with Programmatic demand disabled. It will outline what you will need to do within both the Sharethrough Platform and your Ad Server, to ensure the correct priority and setup is in place to achieve a Direct Sell to Featured Content only waterfall.
Before we begin, this particular waterfall setup requires the use of an Ad Server, please refer to our “” or “” documentation for assistance with setting this up. Please also ensure that you have confirmed with your Account Manager that both Direct Sell & Featured Content has been enabled on your placement.
Sharethrough Platform Adjustments
Preparing the Placement
- Locate the placement you’d like to only traffic Direct Sell & Featured Content within using the “Setup” tab within the Site the placement sits in:
- Once you’ve located your placement, click “Edit Placement” at the top right hand corner of the page:
- Scroll down to the “Enabled DSPs” section and unselect all the options:
- Click “Save”.
Adding Featured Content
- Select “Featured Content” from the left navigation bar, then “Add Content” to begin filling your unsold inventory with Featured Content:
- Enter a name for your Featured Content feed then select the platform source where your Featured Content articles will come from. Your feed status will automatically be set to “Active”, but you can deactivate your feed at any time (NOTE: Only content with images will run as Featured Content):
- Select the number of most recent feed items you’d like to display within your Featured Content, along with he “Latest From” slug will self populate based on the platform you select. Finish off by selecting the placements you would like your Featured Content to run on, then clicking “Save”. Your Featured Content feed will now be created and your feed will automatically activate the most recent articles live in your feed.
Ad Server Adjustments
As previously mentioned, to use for this approach to your waterfall setup, you will need an Ad Server in place. For this documentation, we’ll refer to Google’s DoubleClick for Publishers for reference. You will need 2 Line Items in place, one for the Direct Sell campaign(s), and one for the Featured Content feed.
Direct Sell Line Item
- To ensure that the Direct Sell campaign(s) backfills down to the Featured Content, ensure that it takes a higher priority “Type”, for example “Sponsorship”:
(NOTE: This Line Item will need to use our Direct Sell specific campaign/creative tag for it’s DFP creative, which you’ll find within the campaign/creative’s Integration Documents, for reference see )
Featured Content Line Item
- The Featured Content that will backfill the above Direct Sell Line Item should be set up as a “House” priority for the “Type”, using the generic “Placement Tag” we provide in our (which you will have previously turned Programmatic demand off for above):