Advertisers can now build rich media creatives using Sharethrough’s Native Ad Generator to run programmatically on The Trade Desk, DBM, AppNexus, Adobe, Dataxu, and Centro. Below, find a tutorial for creating rich media ads.
To create Native Rich Media ads, you will need to use the NAG based on the DSP you will be using to traffic the creative:
1) Go to the generator tool of your choice, and make sure you are logged in. If you don’t have an account yet, click Sign Up in the top right. This will allow you to build and save creatives, which can be accessed across all the DSP Native Ad Generators.
2) Click “Create Native Ad” button.
3) Choose “Native Rich Media,” then select “Display Rich MEdia”
4) Create your ad unit*
Fill out data fields and upload thumbnail image.
- Ad Name, Brand Name, Headline, Description, and Image thumbnail are all required fields. Creative specs:
Headline : max 90 characters
Description: max 140 characters
Image : min 600x315
Sponsored by : max 25 characters
- Once you enter a Headline, you will see a "Headline Score" appear.
- Click ‘See Tips’ for more information on Headline Score, and suggestions how to improve the score.
5) Add a custom CTA button click URL and text if you’d like to allow users to click out to an external site. Please use the click tracker for the URL if you want to track clicks to the destination page in 3rd party.
6) Add any impression or engagement trackers. The engagement trackers will only track the initial click on the ad unit, which opens the card experience.
7) You may change the “Opt Out” url/label by updating the Privacy Link Title and URL.
8) Click Edit Content to add images, text, videos, etc to the card. This is the content that will open up in the lightbox after a user clicks on the ad unit.
9) Now you can edit the existing content, or add content blocks to insert images, text, or embedded content. This content will appear in a lightbox when the user clicks on the ad unit. Example here.
You can highlight text to make simple updates to formatting (bold, italic, bullets, text size, etc):
10) For a gallery, click the “+ New Page” button, then insert content blocks. Example here.
11) Click Update Demo, then click on the ad unit on the right to see a preview.
12) Once your ad is complete, click Done.
13) Click “Generate Pixels” at the bottom left of the page, then click “Generate” and then copy the pixel to your clipboard.
14) Traffic your campaign in your DSP of choice, including creating a Native Display backup creative (which will not run).
Enter your RTB Pixel in the field where you would input your 3rd party impression tracker. This URL will call your Content Card creative unit and will serve that creative in the place of the backup Native Display Ad you build in the DSP.
Instruction on how to create a Native Display creative in
What when should I use this format?
When the campaign KPIs include time spent with content and high impact branding/awareness.
How will the viewer know it’s different experience an the impression level
It is not possible to tell if the ad unit will click out to a new page, or open up into the content card experience, until after the user clicks. Therefore, we recommend using the same best practices as native display.
HOW TO CREATE THE UNIT
I need help building the card, who do I reach out to?
Contact your Sharethrough rep or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Which DSPs support it?
Content cards are currently available in:
Basis by Centro
The Trade Desk
Reach out to your Sharethrough rep for availability in other DSPs.
What metrics can be the tracked with these units?
In the DSP you’ll still see the same metrics at the impressions level (clicks, impressions viewability etc.. ). For post click data, ask your Sharethrough contact to share total in-view duration and custom button engagement performance.
What 3rd party pixels can I add to my unit ?
- On the ad unit, at the impression level, you can add as many 1x1 pixels as you wish. Soon we will support JS viewability tags from MOAT, DV and IAS. Check with your Sharethrough rep.
- Within the cards you are also able to use hyperlinks on text and images, so you can implement additional click trackers on use urls with UTM parameters.
Is there a way to click out?
Yes you can add a custom CTA button to the unit, which appears at the bottom right once the user clicks to open the card experience. You can choose the CTA wording (20 character max), as well as the destination url. You are also able to use a click tracker for the url.
If you are building a Gallery card, note that you can only implement 1 custom button/url for the entire card. However, you can use hyperlinks with click trackers within each page of the card.
Am I able to change color and formatting?
You can add simple formatting like bold, italic, underline, list and title, but you can’t change color or font.
This is currently not supported programmatically. If you need a custom build, reach out to your Sharethrough rep.